Blog

Return

1961 Fire Destroys Pig 'N Whistle

Anchored on the corner of Georgia Avenue and Monroe Street, the Pig 'n Whistle opened in 1929 as a curb service restaurant.  Just after midnight on Christmas in 1949, the Pig 'n Whistle caught fire due to a frayed cord on a electrical motor.  Even with the fire station located across the street, the fire was too big and too fierce for the immediate response and  the main building was a total loss.  But in 1961, fire struck again.  The firemen stationed at the firehouse across the street, were awoken to loud explosions coming from the restaurant.  Luckily, the firemen were able respond very quickly and avoided a total loss of the Pig 'n Whistle, but the main building was extensively damaged along with business records.  The pre-dawn fire began in the manager's office located on the left sie of the building and was thought to be arson and possibly a break-in preceded the fire.  The general manager thought that the fire could have been the result of explosives someone had brought to blow out the safe.  

The Pig 'n Whistle finally closed it's doors for good in 1979 and the location was sold and replaced with a Church's Chicken.

View rare 8mm Video footage of the fire damage to the Macon Georgia Pig'n Whistle from 1971 courtesy of the Hooten family.

 

posted 05/01/2017 in Community, Events
Tags:

Comments:

No comments have been posted.

HTML not allowed, max characters 255, * denotes required field.