Cannonball House



This classic Greek revival style half-mansion was built in 1853 as a planter’s townhouse. It earned its name when a Federal shell, fired by Union soldiers encamped across the Ocmulgee River, crashed through a column and into its front parlor in 1864. Open for tours and special events year-round, it houses the area’s finest Civil War museum collection and the recreated meeting rooms of the Adelphean and Philomathean Societies, the world’s first sororities, founded at Wesleyan College. A two-story brick servant’s quarters and kitchen behind the house interprets everyday life during mid-nineteenth century Macon, Georgia.

www.cannonballhouse.org

 

The Cannonball House
856 Mulberry Street
Macon, Georgia 31201