Millionaire Charles Douglass opened The Douglass Theatre in 1921 as the city’s premier theatre and vaudeville hall open to his fellow African American citizens. It hosted early jazz and blues greats like Ida Cox, Bessie Smith and Ma Rainey, and ran feature-length films and serials popular throughout America. Stars such as Cab Calloway and Duke Ellington filled The Douglass in the 1940's, and even Houdini performed there. In 1958, WIBB Radio ran a Saturday live broadcast and talent show offering local performers like Otis Redding the opportunity for discovery. The Douglass closed in 1972 after more than 52 years, but reopened in 1997 and now serves all races and cultures with events, films and performances.
355 Martin Luther King Jr Blvd
Macon, Georgia 31201