Corner Concert’s Top 5 Building Crushes
Our friends at Corner Concerts are always looking for interesting and unexpected places to turn into live music venues. Check out their Top 5 Building Crushes to see where you might expect to see the next corner concert.
1. 381 college street
Although some people have claimed the house was built in 1904, Calder Willingham Jr., the man who built it, did not even own the lot until 1909. The house also does not appear on the 1908 Sanborn Fire Insurance map, so it was likely completed in 1910. Willingham built the house for his new wife Eunice. The building is a Neoclassical house influenced by full-facade porch Greek Revival houses from the nineteenth century.
2. mill hill
The auditorium was built in 1919 by the Bibb Mill Company, and many neighbors still remember playing basketball there as children. Since the mill closed, the building has taken on several identities, most recently being used as a church. Macon Arts Alliance’s plan is to renovate the building to serve as a community arts center where artists and residents can engage in creative activities that enrich the neighborhood and the community at-large.
3. Jesus Cares – Poplar & Broadway
This building definitely catches the attention of anyone driving down Poplar. This building was actually built on Poplar Street. The city of Macon deeded the right of way to build a chocolate candy factory. The name of the building comes from when the rescue mission used the building from 1970-1990 and put a blaring sign that read “Jesus Cares”. The building has incredible bones from the early factory days and begs for a Corner Concert!
4. porter house
James Hyde Porter and his wife Olive Swann Porter donated money to many educational and religious institutions. They also spent their wealth on a long trip to France in 1927 as well as constructing the house, which was completed by 1928. After Mrs. Porter’s death in August 1939, Mr. Porter moved to this house exclusively and began to give generously to local religious, civic, and educational facilities. In 1940, Mr. Porter gave $100,000 to Wesleyan College for the then new campus on Forsyth Road and paid for the construction of a new female dormitory, still known today as Porter Hall, on the Mercer University campus. Mr. Porter earned his wealth as Vice President of the Bibb Manufacturing Company. Architecturally, the house is a direct result of the Porters’ trip to France in the 1920s. Like many wealthy individuals of their era, the Porters used their fortune for a European holiday, and their time “motoring through Normandy” inspired the design of the house.
1. fulton baptist church
This building began as a Presbyterian church on Fourth Street (now Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard) in the 1840s and was later sold to the Catholics. In 1867, it was resold and moved to the corner of Third and Hawthorne as a Baptist church. It is believed to be the oldest wooden building in Macon. A small congregation still meets on Sundays.