Top 5 Bygone Bars - Part 2



This week we continue our bar crawl through Macon’s thirsty history.  If you've ever been drinkin' in Macon, you'll probably recall a few of these bygone bars.  We’re here and we’re thirsty, so without further ado let’s get to Part 2.  How many of the Macon bars do you remember?

 

1.  The Cottage

Opened in 1976 and once known as Macon's most durable rock-n-roll nightspots, The Cottage was a popular place for Capricorn recording artists and was always open for other hopefuls to drop in and jam.   One of The Cottage's most frequent guests was Macon keyboardist Chuck Leavell, who would always drop in when he was not on tour.  In the late 80's, The Cottage fell victim of declining crowds and ultimately closed its doors at 1510 Forsyth Street in 1987.


2.  The Yellow Rose

The Yellow Rose was a venue that at one time was suited for the largest bar crowds of Macon.  The Yellow Rose was located off Riverside Drive (now behind Grow Restaurant) in an esthetically appointed, 100 year old building that was originally designed as a trolley barn.  The Yellow Rose boasted three bars, a balcony, an elevated stage, a enormous dance floor and an unobstructed view from any spot in the club.  The Yellow Rose once filled a void for southeast touring musicians and bands that were signed to smaller, independent labels.   

 

3.  Rick's Bar & Grill

Founded in 1990, Rick's Bar & Grill was a small restaurant located off Gray Highway in Macon, Georgia.  Once a neighborhood lounge and sports bar, Rick's grew in popularity over the years, but eventually closed only to re-open as HUD's Bar and Grill. 

 

 

 

4.  Adams Lounge

Adams Lounge was opened in 1947 by Sally Adams and was located on Old Gray Hwy.  Back in the day, Adam's Lunge served as a southern stop on the Chitlin Circut to some of the most celebrated musicians in America: James Brown, BB King, Pattie Labelle, Clarence Carter, Gladys Knight and Gregg Allman to name a few.  Sally Adams was known to have patrons lining up outside the lounge on Sunday's after church just to buy her famous fried chicken. Sally Adam's son, George, who was the first African American Sheriff in Jones County later became proprietor and Manager of the lounge until his death in 2013.

 

5.  The Shamrock 

Shamrock owner Dargan McAfee opened the first Shamrock at Riverside Drive and Wimbish Road in 1995 and it instantly became a neighborhood favorite.  The Irish pub offered more than the obligatory Guinness pints, they served food with a menu as traditional American pub fare with a dash of Irish mixed in. With live music and trivia nights, the Shamrock offered a quirky but relaxed atmosphere for all who entered.  The Shamrock later moved to Payne City in 2000 and took residence in a former mill building and thrived for over 10 more years.  In 2012, McAfee closed the once-popular bar after 17 years with a tearful and heartfelt send-off from members of the Macon community.

Still Feeling Nostalgic?  Here Are 5 More Bygone Bars of Macon Past